Ads Top

See the teenager obsessed with retro apple

Mainevibez
Fifteen-year-old Alex Jason owns a vast
collection of vintage Apple devices which he
now plans to exhibit near his home in the US
state of Maine.

Alex started collecting his "orchard" at the age
of 10 and says he has around 1,000 items,
stored in the basement of his family home.
He is currently involved in the renovation of a
former library building in which he hopes to
exhibit his collection next year.
He says he prefers PCs for gaming.
As a result he built his own computer which
runs both Apple and Windows operating
systems - complete with LED light displays.
"Graphics cards that are for PCs are more
designed for gaming," he told the BBC.
"The only thing I don't like about Windows is
the viruses. I know there's a few for Mac but
Windows - you click on one thing you're not
supposed to and you get hit."
Alex's dad Bill bought a job lot of 50 old Apple
computers for $2,000 (£1,380) to start the
collection off.
"Originally my goal was to get them, work on
them, play retro games and learn the history,"
Alex said.
"Then I realised, showing my friends, that
they'd never seen them. Dad and I got this
vision to start a museum and that's been our
goal."
While Bill has contributed to the collection,
Alex has also raised money for new items by
mowing lawns, as well as fixing and re-selling
other computers.
"I traded my mini-bike and snow blower for
an iMac G5," he said of one of his earlier
purchases.
"A couple of my friends thought I was stupid,
but I did it because the mini-bike needed a
lot of work."
His collection includes Apple computers from
almost every generation, in addition to
prototypes and accessories, some more
unusual than others, like the Apple Cursor 3 -
a joystick-shaped mouse - which Alex believes
is the only one that has ever surfaced.

No comments:

mainevibez 2016. Powered by Blogger.